You have listed your house for sale and your Realtor® has asked if you would like him/her to hold an Open House in an effort to expose it to more potential Buyers.
Here are some things you should consider to make your house look attractive. Remember, that as Covid-19 drags on, there are a number of processes your Realtor will want to carry out in order to protect you from any type of virus transmission. Please be sure to discuss this issue with him/her and ensure you follow the directions that have been provided by the local Real Estate Board/Association designed to limit exposure to the virus and offer protection to you and the visitors who come to the Open House.
Keeping in mind “you only get 1 chance to make a first impression” some of these suggestions will be of help at the Open House
- Cut the grass and water the plants in the front yard
- Make sure the driveway and pathway to the front door is clear
- Ensure the front door key and latch work and are easy to use
- Switch on as many lights as possible
- Make sure all windows and blinds are clean and the blinds are up or open
- Have a radio tuned to a station that plays “elevator music” at a low volume, or the TV on a channel that plays soothing music
- Vacuum the carpets, dust all furniture, put away all newspapers and books and clothing
- Remove any evidence of pets in the house, and remember to ensure they are not in the house during this time
- Keep bowls of pot-pourri in a few rooms, and if possible, drop a few drops of vanilla essence on a hot stove top about 15 minutes before the beginning of the Open House
- If possible, time the end of a bread or apple pie baking for about the same time
- Remove as many items from horizontal surfaces in the kitchen and bathrooms as possible
- Ensure all toilet seats are down and shower curtains are open
- Make sure the inside of the stove and dishwasher are clean
- If you are selling the house in the summer, remove all winter clothing from closets and store off-site
These are just a few suggestions to make your house appeal to a potential Buyer. Your Realtor will have more suggestions for you, make use of their expertise and experience.